Grain bowls and Broth bowls are all the rage right now and it's easy to see why. Creating them is fun, flexible and lends itself to batch prepping and a great way to use up what's hanging out in the fridge.
Creating this tasty grain bowl is a great way to use up the rest of the Bison Mix made for the Hand Pies.
THE ANATOMY OF A GRAIN BOWL
1. As with all the grain bowls, we start with a base. While traditionally a grain (or pseudo grain), it can be a riced veggies or noodle. Consider trying:
Brown Rice (if later in postpartum)
Soba or rice noodles
Sweet Potato Rice
2. Select a protein. In this case, this Bison Mix but you can also select
Leftover pulled chicken from this recipe,
Leftover Salmon from this recipes
Fried, poached or jammy eggs
3. Add some (more) Veggies. You can use riced veggies, roasted veggies, even pull some from the freezer. To mix it up, you can spiralize or grate or use a peeler to create easy bites and add texture to the bowl. Remember that we want to stick with cooked veggies here for now.
Roasted, steamed or sautéed kale, spinach or any green
Green Beans, blanched
Roasted root veggies
4. Add fat. Always. Remember fat is how we absorb certain nutrients so it is essential in every meal
5. Add a dressing or sauce.
Scallion Ginger Oil
Avocado Dulse Dip
Maple Dijon Dressing
6. Toppings! These can add a punch of flavor, another layer of nutrients and a nice crunch
Seaweed Snack (sheet of nori)
Hemp or Sesame Seeds
Have fun and play around! :)